Many of the expected ladies have no idea how oral hygiene and pregnancy are related. As the woman’s body goes through a lot of changes during pregnancy, it becomes more important to pay attention their teeth and gums hygiene. Here are the few do’s and don’ts that one should follow during the pregnancy period:
1) Plan a dental check-up before you are due to conceive. Pregnancy causes hormonal changes and can increase existing bleeding and swelling of gums or kick start a new gum problem.
2) Poor oral hygiene can lead to premature /underweight child birth and poses high risk to pregnancy.
3) Preventive dental care comprising of oral prophylaxsis. preventive fillings, removal of impacted teeths (like third molars) should be undertaken before planning pregnancy.
4) During pregnancy second trimester is the best phase to undertake any emergency oral care if required. Dental x-rays should be avoided during pregnancy.
5) Follow good oral hygiene practices like twice brushing, mouthwash and flossing.
Dr. Sharad Gupta, BDS, MDS, is prosthodontics,
smile designer & implantologist. He has almost 14 plus years teaching experience in
Prosthetic Dentistry, Dental Materials, and Oral Implantology.
0124-2577895 (Gurugram), 011-25126068 (Delhi)
496, Sec 43, Gurgaon, Haryana - 122009
BE- 321, Street no-4, Hari Nagar, New Delhi - 110064